MIGUEL: YFGM



Had trouble sleeping last night. It was as if my body refused to sleep and my subconsious was trying to remind me of something. At 11:30 p.m. i suddenly remembered what it was - it was (or was supposed to be) B.J.'s birthday.



B.J.'s was a friend I got to know from playing CCGs. He used to hold tournaments and we would tag along and play. I guess being in the same age group as he was (most of the other players were kinda very young compared to us) allowed him to mix well with our group. Even after the CCG's died down, we sorta kept in touch (well, living in the same condo building also helped).



Most people will think that it's kinda odd that I have a friend who was like him. We have so little in common. He was, as a friend of the circle described: "a walking, talking dick". I take it that she means, he was good looking and just good enough for a romp in the sack and nothing else (in the brains department I would guess). But then again, I guess hanging around him a couple or so times kinda showed me a different side to that.



Sure he was into the shady part of life, 4Gs as he would say: Guns, Goons, Gold and Girls. He would introduce me to some of his friends. Boy! Were they scary - tattooed and such, but after a while you'll find out that they were ok. He would ask me to join parties and the people were just different from the normal crowd I would hang out with - college girls and beer. People who simply did not have a care in the world.



But then again B.J. was a man of many experiences and talents. He would tell me stories of stuff he did in the past. I kinda learned more about the real world from those stories. I guess I was also impressed on the ways he used those to make a living. He would sing as part of a band, sell different kinds of stuff, make computer repairs, do traffic enforcement. In a sense, he was really living and was teaching others in his own way.



I don't know if most people know this but his email id was "yfgm". I asked him about that one time and he said it stood for "your fairy godmother". I asked him why he chose that and he said that it was because his friends could always come to him and he would always be there to help them just like a fary godmother. kinda funny coming from this tall, buff guy.



Too bad his life was cut short. I can't really say I knew him as well as his other friends did, but then again if I was able to learn from the short time we were friends then I guess I was really blessed (is that the right word?) to have known him at all.



Last night, I took a few minutes commune with him to say thanks and happy birthday.


No comments:

Post a Comment